Saturday, February 7, 2015

FAQ: What extracurriculars look good on my application?

Alright, so we've all been through this one. They always say, "Make yourself stand out. Be unique." By "they" I mean anyone trying to tell you how to make your medical school application perfect.

What's weird is the more I've heard these people's advice, the more I've figured out that it's a load of B.S. The reason why, is the advice they give ends up motivating pre-medical students to do things they aren't passionate about, or volunteer just because they need to get it on their resume.

This is the part where I come in. You are on this page, reading this blog not because you're looking for an instructional manual on how to get into medical school, but because you're already past the part where you've made a decision on your path. All you need is a light tap to remind you of where you're going. So I'm not here to tell you HOW to get in, only merely to REMIND you of what your passions really are.

So with that, let's answer this FAQ. Basically, there is no cookie-cutter extracurricular that looks particularly good or unique on your resume. Literally, all you need to do, is find what you like and what you're good at, and make the most of it. Go far with it. Don't hold back. That in it of itself is what is going to make you stand out. I can guarantee you that the medical school admissions people have seen it all: skydiving, traveling to exotic countries, acrobatic yoga instructors, olympic athletes. All they're looking for in your extracurriculars are two main aspects: passion, and excellence. Is this something you're truly passionate about, and if so, did you excel at what you did? That's it.

For example, I'm passionate about dance, Krav Maga, and the study of eating disorders. Because of this, I have been seeking out every opportunity I can to enjoy these activities. I'm vying for a minor in Dance here at the university, I train in Krav Maga on my off time, and I'm currently working with a Neuroscience professor on a semester-long research project on the nature of predispositions in eating disorders. By the time I apply for medical school, these activities will all be on my resume and ready to talk about. It will be evident that I truly love what I do, and I will be able to elaborate on my experiences. This all basically helps the admissions board person know me as a person, and remember my name and attributes when they start making final decisions.

That being said, volunteer/shadowing experience in a hospital setting is a necessary component of your extracurriculars. The admissions people want to know that you know exactly what you're getting into by applying as a future doctor. They want to make sure you won't drop out just because you realized that you hated hospitals right in the middle of it.

So, what am I doing about that? I am an out-state-student here, so I can't actually volunteer for years at a time. What I've come up with, is emailing every physician I know, and trying to get them to let me shadow them. Personally, I've already spent a lot of time in hospitals just from personal experiences as a kid and in high school (these experiences are actually what inspired me to be a doctor at 5 years old), so it's a bit annoying to me that I have to prove that I actually like the setting, but a little shadowing never hurt anyone. Over the summer, I'm set up to volunteer at a hospice, working with the patients there. I'll actually dedicate a post later to those, they never get the volunteer attention they deserve! Now, the hospice is actually my own deal. I've always been interested in the psychology behind death, so this provides a personal opportunity for me to explore my interests while getting patient experience.

Similarly, you guys should explore your individual interests in patient care!

So.....in a nutshell, do what you love, and do it WELL. Then add a splash of hospital/patient experience in there and you're good to go!

Side note: Extracurriculars are my absolute favorite subject, because as the underdog with bad stats, I can really show myself through my outside work, and you guys can too!

Happy Saturday, and remember: don't slack on your studies! Keep it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment